Gert’s Lasagne was infamous in our family. We usually had it for every party, but more than that we had it EVERY Christmas holiday. The recipe has very few ingredients and can be enhanced to suit your family’s needs. It is always a hit, easy to make and perfect for every occasion or just everyday.
- 2 Tablespoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 3 – 5 Cloves of Garlic – diced
- 1.5 – 2 Onions – diced (I like to use Vidalia or Red)
- 2 6 oz Cans of Tomato Paste (1.5 cups)
- 2 12 oz Cans Tomato Sauce
- 2 Boxes Lasagne Noodles
- The oven ready kind is easiest
- 3 – 4 Cups Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan/Romano Cheese
- 1 Lb. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 3 Beaten Eggs
- 1 Cup Chopped Fresh Basil
- it’s worth it to get the fresh. Trust me!
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley or Parsley Flakes
- Fresh is always better, but if you can only afford one fresh herb, make sure to spend that money on the Basil
Add-ins That Make it Yours
Sometimes it is worth it to add in things to better suit your family’s tastes, or to jazz it up for the holidays. Try the following:
- Add 1 Lb of Campari or Roma tomatoes – blanch in boiling water and remove skins & bulk of seeds before adding to tomato sauce mixture
- Add Italian Sausages – Italian Sausage usually comes in hot or sweet. Try adding in 4 links of some combination of the two styles for an added depth of flavor
- Add pureed carrots and zucchini to the tomato sauce during cooking to hide extra vegetables in sauce for the kids.
Step 1 – Making the Tomato Sauce
- If you are going to add in sausage or ground beef, begin by browning the meat in a large soup pot with the onions. You should not need to add oil. When meat is browned, drain excess fat before going to the next step.
- If you are not using any meat, just begin with the onions and fry them in a little butter or olive oil
- Add in tomato paste, tomato sauce, garlic, parsley, 1 Tablespoon of the salt and blanched tomatoes if you are using them.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Pro Tip – Use this time to make the cheesy part
Step 2 – The Cheesy Part
- In a large bowl, combine:
- Ricotta Cheese
- Parmesan/Romano Cheese
- Fresh Basil
- 3 Eggs – Beaten
- Remaining Salt & the Pepper
Step 3 – Building the Lasagne
- Spoon tomato sauce into lasagne or casserole pan (9×12)
- Put 2 layers of lasagne noodles on top of the sauce layer
- Spread half of the cheesy part on top of the noodles
- Top with another layer of sauce and then 1/3 of the mozzarella
- Add another layer of noodles
- Spread the remaining cheesy part on the noodles
- Top with another layer of sauce, then remaining mozzarella
Bake for 30 – 40 minutes at 325, remove from oven, let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
THIS RECIPE CAN BE MADE IN ADVANCE AND FROZEN! Pull it straight from the freezer and put in a preheated 350 degree oven, add 15 minutes to cooking time to fully defrost.