Hummus has been around on menus forever, but many people here in America are just discovering this versatile protein. It can be used as a base in many sandwiches and serves as a great filler. Made from chickpeas, tahini, garlic and lemon; hummus also boasts high fiber and B vitamins.
Hummus can easily be found in just about every store nowadays, which is great if you can find it on sale. If you are a single person or a small household, that may be a cost you can swing. Sabra is very a very popular brand, as are Lantana’s & Cedar’s.
Ways to Serve Hummus Besides on a Pita Chip
- As a replacement for mustard or mayonnaise on a sandwich
- Mixed in deviled eggs
- As the base protein for a garden vegetable sandwich
- Over scrambled eggs
- As a base for pizza instead of tomato sauce (pro tip: make it on pita or naan bread – AMAZING)
- As a dip for fresh vegetables
- As a replacement for butter or cream cheese on a bagel
- In mashed potatoes
- In quesadillas
- As a base in salad dressing
If hummus turns out to be something that you love and wish to eat regularly, it is probably a good idea to just make it yourself. Don’t let the cost of the tahini scare you (about $7-$14) it goes a long way and is worth it. Also, if you have a Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, Israeli or North African market close to you it tends to be cheaper to purchase there than in a mainstream grocery store. I personally prefer Joyva tahini and it tends to be reasonably priced. You will need a food processor, but they are a very good kitchen item to own. I would go so far as to say a kitchen essential.
Links to Some Excellent Hummus Recipes
- Basic hummus recipe can be found HERE
- Hummus toast ideas can be found HERE
- Hummus pizza basics can be found HERE
- Grilled hummus & turkey sandwich recipe can be found HERE
- Hummus pasta recipe can be found HERE
Once you dip your toes into the pool of great ways to use hummus, you can research even more ways in which to incorporate this delicious food into your every day life. It is cheaper than adding meat to every meal, and more versatile than other bean based recipes. Any way you serve it, hummus is a great addition to your kitchen.